Our support has moved to: here

Please drop the "-link" from System URL

Darren

03 Sep, 2013 07:02 PM

We love the ability to use our own domain on the system URL when creating Custom Links.

However, these would be even more useful as "shortlinks" (such as you see on bit.ly) if the "-link" was left off the end.

Is the "-link" really needed? Maybe appending it to the end could be made optional in the system settings?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Bradley on 29 Jan, 2014 04:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. We're currently using the "-link" to distinguish custom links from other app requests. Thought we could do it with a path segment like /l/ instead e.g. www3.uco.edu/l/your-branded-url.

Would that be preferable?

2. 2 Posted by Darren Denham on 06 Feb, 2014 05:54 PM

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for suggesting a compromise.

While I really wish the “-link” could be dropped, introducing a “/X/” into the URL would probably be even more problematic.

My wish would be for the Spectate Custom Links to behave like bit.ly (which they almost do), allowing the average person to easily type the generated URL into a browser. It’s just kinda clunky to ask someone to add “-link” to the end.

Adding a “/X/” would introduce more opportunity for errors for anyone asked to type it – even though it is shorter than “-link.”

I’m sure the original concept wasn’t to offer what bit.ly does, but to offer the custom domain as a nice touch you threw in (and it is nice).

But in the end, programmatically if you can’t drop it, you can’t.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Bradley on 07 Feb, 2014 06:26 PM

Thanks Darren.

As I alluded to in my previous comment, the issue is being able to quickly distinguish requests for custom URLs from other app requests. The main difference between Spectate and bit.ly is that the Spectate app has resources e.g. /marketing/forms that do more than just shorten URLs in its application namespace: my.spectate.com.

We could consider moving all of the custom linking to a separate app domain: e.g. l.spectate.com and then having you guys point your custom domain CNAME to that app instead of the Spectate application that you interact with as a user.

We'll keep thinking about this one and thanks again for the thoughtful response.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac